Lead Poisoning – click here to view full post

The Washington County Health Department wants residents to know that removing lead based paint (and varnish) from interior and exterior surfaces in homes built prior to 1978 can cause lead poisoning if not done with extreme caution.  Lead is a highly toxic metal that at one time was an ingredient in many household products, including lead-based paints manufactured before 1978.  The primary source of lead exposure among U.S. children is the lead-based paint (and varnish) and lead-contaminated dust and soil found in and around older buildings.  As of April, 2010, a new law, Wisconsin Lead-Safe Renovation Rule, requires certification of renovators/contractors that disturb lead-based paint in homes, child care facilities, and schools built before 1978.  Certified contractors follow specific work practices that prevent lead contamination of surfaces in the buildings they are renovating.  If your contractor is not certified and does not follow lead-safe renovation practices, he/she may be putting your family and pets at risk for lead poisoning.  A homeowner doing work on his/her own property does not have to be certified but would be wise to follow lead-safe practices.  Children are particularly susceptible to lead poisoning, suffering permanent damage that may stay with them for the rest of their lives.  For information on the renovation law, how to follow lead-safe work practices, and how to prevent childhood lead poisoning, please contact Washington County Health Department at 262-335-4462, or go the Lead-Safe Wisconsin website at http://dhs.wisconsin.gov/lead/index.htm.  A listing of lead-safe renovators can be found at http://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/lead/Training.htm

Posted in Uncategorized

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *