Trash & Recycling FAQs
Frequently Asked Questions About the Automated Trash Collection System
Why did the Town move to this system?
Bag service was no longer being offered as a long-term solution, and the cost savings with the new automated service was significant. The Town decided that the residents of the Town would want to continue with curbside collection (rather than give it up altogether) and after much deliberation, using a committee made up of Town residents, this was the ultimate decision.
What is my collection day?
Collection in the Town of Trenton is as follows:
- Hwy 33
- North of Hwy 33
- River Court
- Trenton on the River
- Scenic Drive
- South of Hwy 33
The following Federal Holidays usually affect trash and recycling pick up. However, when in doubt, PUT IT OUT.
- New Year’s Day (January 1)
- Memorial Day (last Monday in May)
- Independence Day (July 4)
- Labor Day (first Monday in September)
- Thanksgiving Day (last Thursday in November)
- Christmas Day (December 25)
At those times, the pick up schedule will shift by one day. If the holiday falls on a Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday, the Thursday collection will occur on Friday and the Friday collection will occur on Saturday. If the holiday falls on a Friday, the Thursday collection will not be affected, and the Friday collection will occur on Saturday. Please review the calendar on the Trash & Recycling page for specific dates.
Is there a charge for the carts?
No. The carts are provided to the residents at no charge.
I do not need such a large cart. What are my options?
You are not required to place your trash and recycling for collection every week. You may choose to use the service every other week, or every month, as it suits you. Remember to check the calendar to see when recycling will be collected.
I have a long or steep driveway. What are my options to safely transport the carts to the curb?
You have the following options:
- Request the smaller carts (see above)
- Purchase a “Tow-A-Bin” to facilitate wheeling the carts using your car (no hitch required, see www.tow-a-bin.com). The Town will have a limited supply of these at a reduced cost on a first-come, first-serve basis. Please call the Town Hall at 262.675.6009 x101 to request one. Tow-A-Bin Instructions available here.
- Create a space at the end of your driveway to store the carts permanently. They must be at least 30 feet from the roadway, and be aware that if they land in the road and get damaged, you will be responsible for replacement cost.
What if my garbage doesn’t fit in the cart in any given week?
With the previous contract, Veolia (now Advanced Disposal) was very accommodating in collecting trash that went above the 2-bag per household limit. The 95 gallon carts are intended to increase the amount of garbage that can be collected, but there may be times when you have additional trash that won’t fit. Advanced Disposal will only collect trash and recycling that fits inside the carts with the lids closed. If you have additional items, you must wait until the next collection day or take them to Advanced Disposal’s facility on North River Road for disposal (a fee will apply).
What can I do if I have a disability that makes it impossible for me to wheel the carts to the curb?
The Town of Trenton and Advanced Disposal will work together to grant hardship exemptions on a case-by-case basis. Please check back here soon to learn about how that process will work.
The wheels on my cart broke off. What do I do?
The wheels on the carts are designed to pop off under stress, without damaging the carts. If the wheels on your trash or recycling cart come off, please notify the Town Clerk at 262.675.6009 x101 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Advanced Disposal will repair the wheels if the cart is easily accessible and in plain view.